Uses of Ponstan Forte
- ‣ Mefenamic acid tablets belong to a class known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs).
- ‣ It is used to relieve moderately severe pain such as muscular aches, headaches, pains, dental pain, menstrual cramps.
- ‣ It reduces pain and inflammation until you take this medicine. This medicine doesn’t correct the cause of the pain and doesn’t prevent it.
- ‣ This ponstan forte tablet is a short-term (7 days or lesser) used in the treatment and prevention of moderate pain in adults and children who are at least 14 years old. This medicine is used to treat menstrual pain. Moreover, this medicine is also used to decrease pain and blood loss from menstrual periods.
- ‣ Read out the medication guide that comes with the medicine or provided by your doctor or pharmacist.
- ‣ Take these ponstan forte tablets by mouth. Usually, four times a day, along with a full glass of water or as your doctor directs it. Make sure you don’t lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this medicine. If you experience any signs of an upset stomach, take this medicine with food or milk.
- ‣ The dosage is based on your medical condition and treatment response. Don’t take this medicine regularly as it works best on a “needed” basis when the first signs of pain appear. If you take this medicine for painful periods, then take your first dose when the first-period pain begins. You will only need to take this medicine for 2 or 3 days of your period.
Side effects of Ponstan Forte Tablets
Here are some side effects that you might get to experience when using this medicine.
- • Upset stomach
- • Dizziness
- • Drowsiness
- • Diarrhea
- • Headache
- • Heartburn
- • Nausea
- • Anorexia
- • Abdominal pain
- • Nausea
- • Flatulence
- • Constipation
- • LFTS elevation
If any of these side effects gets severe, consult your doctor immediately.
When not to use
Those who are hypersensitive to ingredients or have ASA allergy, any history related to aspirin triad, GI tract, ulcer/ inflammation, CABG, late pregnancy, Renal Dz.
- • Use with caution in anemia, bronchospasm, cardiac disease, fluid retention, hepatic/ renal impairment, bleeding diathesis, CHF, HTN, SLE.
- • If severe diarrhea occurs, reduce the dose or temporarily discontinue usage of this medicine.
- • Use in cautions with the history of peptic ulcer, upper GI disease, GL bleeding.
- • There is a risk associated with severe skin reactions. These patients have any skin disease, use this medicine with caution and discontinue the medication if any severe allergic reaction occurs.
- • Those under pregnancy are advised to consult their doctor before intaking these ponstan forte tablets.