Metformin is used to control high blood sugar levels; the medication is used with a proper diet and exercise program or probably with other medicines. This medicine is used on patients who have type 2 diabetes. The controlling and treatment of High blood sugar levels lead to kidney damage, nerve problems, loss of limbs, blindness, and sexual function issues. Using this medicine also reduces your risk of heart attack or stroke.
This medicine is also used in the treatment of PCOs and also in weight-loss regimens.
Take this medicine by mouth or based on your doctor’s recommendation.
Generally, the usage f this medicine is 1-3 times a day with meals. You are advised to drink plenty of fluids when taking this medicine or as directed by your doctor because this medication might cause dehydration in your body.
The dosage on your doctor’s recommendation and to the treatment response. Discuss it with a doctor if you are already using prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products. Your doctor may direct it to start this medication with a low dosage and gradually increase your dosage. To get the most benefit from it, take this medicine regularly.
Not recommended for children
Here are some side effects that you might experience when using this medication.
• Stomach upset
• Metallic taste
• Abdominal bloating
If any of these effects get worsens or persists, then consult your doctor immediately.
When not to use
This medicine is contraindicated in patients who are allergic or prevent CHF, chronic metabolic acidosis.
• Before taking this medicine, discuss it with your doctor if you are allergic to metformin, and if you have any other allergies, this medication contains some inactive ingredients.
• Elderly adults might be at greater risk of side effects
• This medicine passes into breast milk, so make sure that you consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
• Those who are under pregnancy are advised to consult their doctor before intaking this medicine.
• If you have any medical history related to severe breathing problems (such as severe asthma, obstructive lung disease), blood problems like anemia, Vitamin B12, kidney disease, or liver disease, then consult your doctor before using this medicine.