Paracetamol syrup is a widely used and prescribed medicine that helps patients ease the pain and bring down the high temperature of the body (fever). It is used to treat many conditions such as arthritis, headache, backache, muscle ache, headache, colds, toothache, and fevers. The suspension relieves the pain in mild arthritis, but it does not affect the underlying inflammation conditions and the swelling of the joint.
Take this syrup by mouth or as directed by the doctor. The general dosage that your doctor might recommend is up to 4 times a day at the start of the vaccination. You are advised not to give more than 4 doses at any hour of the day with a gap of at least 4 hours. If your baby still needs this medication 2 days after receiving the syrup, consult a doctor and discuss the condition with a doctor.
For child’s ages 2-3 months
For pain and other cause of fever:
If your baby weighs more than 4 kg and was born after 37 weeks, then the recommended dosage is 2.5ml. And if necessary, give a second 2.5ml dose with a gap of 4-6 hours.
Don’t give this medicine to babies ages less than 2 months.
Provide this medication with a gap of at least 4 hours.
Don’t give more than 2 doses.
For child’s ages 3 months- 6 years
Child’s age Dosage How Often (in 24 hours)
3 - 6 months 2.5 ml 4 times
6 - 24 months 5 ml 4 times
2 – 4 years 7.5ml (5ml +2.5 ml) 4 times
4 - 6 years 10ml (5ml + 5ml) 4 times
In the elderly ages, the rate and the extent of the paracetamol absorption are normal. Still, the plasma half-life is longer, and the paracetamol clearance is lower than in young adults.
The Calpol syrup can cause GI upset, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, constipation, vomiting, etc.
When not to use
This syrup is contraindicated in those patients who are hypersensitive and allergic to certain inactive ingredients.
Also, this syrup is not recommended for those patient’s severe active liver disease.
• Use caution in patients with chronic malnutrition
• This formula is available in different forms of products and brands. Check the label of the medicine carefully and avoid overdose
• Seek medical attention when you are taking this syrup if you are pregnant.
• Use Calpol with cautions with repeated admirations in patients with anemia, renal disease, and pulmonary.
• There is a higher risk of alcoholics in this Calpol syrup, high dose of chronic or use of products that contains more than one acetaminophen- products.