Escitalopram is used in the treatment and prevention of depression and anxiety. This medicine functions by restoring the balance between certain natural substances (serotonin) in the brain. Citanew belongs to a class of drugs that are known as SSRI (Selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitors.) It increases the energy level and feelings of well-being and also decreases nervousness.
Moreover, this medicine also treats obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized by an anxiety disorder.
Take this medicine by mouth with or without a meal as your doctor recommend you. Usually, this medicine is taken once daily in the morning or evening. The dosage of this medicine is based on your medical condition, age, and response to medical treatment.
Remember to acknowledge the doctor about all the medicine you are using, including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and any herbal products.
If you are taking this medicine in liquid form, carefully measure the dose of medicine using a measuring spoon or device. Please don’t use the household spoon because it may not tell you the correct amount.
For the lower risks of side effects, your doctor might start your medicine from a lower dose and then gradually increase your dosage. Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully.
Do not increase or decrease the dosage without your doctor’s consultation. Also, please don’t increase the dosage of medicine more than’s recommended.
Here are some effects that you might experience when using medication:
• Trouble in sleeping
• Dry mouth
• Increase sweating
If any of these effects get worsens or persists, tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately
When not to use
This medicine is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to active ingredients like this drug.
• Before using this medication, consult your doctor if you are allergic to escitalopram or citalopram or if you have any other allergies. This medicine may consist of inactive ingredients that might cause an allergic reaction in the human body.
• Take precautions because FDA does not approve this medicine for the treatment of bipolar depression.
• Those who are under pregnancy are advised to consult their doctor before intaking this medicine.
• This medicine passes into breast milk, so make sure that you consult your doctor before taking this medicine. Also, this drug causes undesirable effects on the nursing infant.
• Consult your doctor, if you have any medical history related to personal or family history of suicide attempts, personal family history of bipolar and manic-depressive disorder, liver disease, intestinal ulcers/ bleeding (peptic ulcer disease) or bleeding problems, seizures, low sodium in the blood (hyponatremia), personal or family history of glaucoma (angle-closure type.)